Friday, March 18, 2011

Hidden Bias

It came to no surprise to me that I had a slight prejudice towards European Americans during the simulation. However, I think that the simulation almost makes you have a bias. It directs your attention to good words and then European Americans and then bad words followed by African Americans. Then it switches. I do not quite fully believe that it was my bias towards African Americans that was stopping me from correlating them with good words or it was because I had just been used to seeing a good word and responding by typing with my right finger.
This is what Harvard University says about prejudice, "Prejudices are often accompanied by ignorance, fear or hatred. Prejudices are formed by a complex psychological process that begins with attachment to a close circle of acquaintances or an "in-group" such as a family. Prejudice is often aimed at "out-groups."  
This being the case, I agree with wheat they said. I am ignorant to African American culture and that sometimes does make me fear what I should not fear. I do not hate African Americans, I also do not have an extreme prejudice against them. I feel bad for having any prejudice against them but how can I be blamed? I live in a community where we can count how many African American students there are in our high school on our hand and we do not veer too far out of our little bubble when it comes to exploring the world on the weekends. We are completely "attached to a circle of acquaintances" and although there are activities we can do to negate that prejudice and stereotypical behavior we hold, we were never taught to- so why should we?
Deerfield is a great community where youth and teens are encouraged to strive and are pushed to succeed in the fields of math, science, english, art, journalism, football, track, and many, many more. One thing we were never pushed to do is integrate ourselves. We have never had to force ourselves or be forced to be around anyone we didn't want to be around. As time elapses, Deerfield is slowly starting to change that ugly pattern, however I fear (and I really hope it does NOT happen) that once there becomes too high of a percentage... well you can figure out the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment