Sunday, January 30, 2011

State of the Union Address

In our in class discussion regarding the recent State of the Union Address given by President Barack Obama, a main issue we talked about was the issue of many of the schools in the United States are very unfortunate and have a lot less than we do. This related clearly to our school board's recent decision to put the referendum on the ballot for the public to vote on in the april elections. It was of the opinion in some of the class that instead of using our millions and millions of dollars to build two brand new high schools, we should donate some money in hopes to improve schools for other communities. I however disagree. I think that the money that our parents work so extremely hard to make should not go to some other community where students may take it for granted and not use the money in the same way that we do. Each and every year, with what Deerfield and Highland Park High School's have to offer students thoroughly challenge themselves to preform to the best of their abilities. Shouldn't we be praised for the good work not reprimanded because some inner city school doesn't have the same opportunities we do? As a school, we would not be able to accomplish all of the achievements that we are able to accomplish if we had to give the money that goes into supporting our school system to other districts.

About our school system learning more math and science in our mandatory years at school, I would like to point out that I think that by the time a student reaches the age of 18 years old they are going to veer in the direction of one occupation versus another and I don't think a few more months of math and science are going to change their ideas. I don't think it should be required or suggested by my government to put me into a field of study that I don't want to be in. If I want to be an artist, let me be an artist, If I want to be a chef let me be a chef and If by chance I want an occupation where I work in the fields of math and science, my government should let me choose for myself if I can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment