Saturday, January 8, 2011

Final Thoughts on A Million Little Pieces

The main overall theme and message I took from A Million Little Pieces is the idea that overcoming addiction is possible. James Frey suffered through so much in his book and the extent that his addiction owned his life is unthinkably extreme. It was said in his book that if James Frey had taken drugs or drank one more time, he would have died. In the book Frey seems to be a powerful strong man. He doesn't take any bullying from any of the other patients in the rehabilitation center and he does what he wants and what he thinks is best for himself to recover from his addictions. James Frey's perseverance is very respectable given all of the things he said he went through in the early stages of his process to recovery in the rehabilitation center. It was great that Frey eventually found something that he could believe in, The Book of Tao, and that helped him overcome what he couldn't do on his own. With the help of his family, his friends, and his counselors at rehab, James Frey overcame his horrid addiction.

In my senior english class, we have been reading plays (Hamlet and Antigone) that the main characters really suffered through some hard times and because of those hard times, they have been emotionally unstable. My teacher always comments that when she thinks she's having a bad day, she will remember the lives of Hamlet or Antigone because those characters have had "bad lives." James Frey could be that character for me. Frey suffered through some grueling tasks in his life and still managed to overcome the difficulties. Although Frey's life was in "a million little pieces," he put his life back together. There may have been a few pieces missing, but he is able to live his life and prosper.

I chose to wait until I was done reading the book to find out why James Frey's credibility faltered. In finding out what Frey lied about by viewing Oprah's interview with Frey, I have a different view on the book. I would recommend reading the book because of it's powerful message, but I think James Frey was a moron to lie about what he did. I will not disclose what Frey lied about in this blog, however, what he lied about didn't add to the story yielding it unnecessary and ridiculous to even lie about.  Overall the book was powerful, yet it was slow in times too. I'm glad I read the book, but it isn't a book I would read over and over again.

2 comments:

  1. It seems like this book really left a hopeful feeling that even when someone seems like they cant be fixed and are beyond repair they can overcome their obstacle. It seems to show that if you're willing to put in the effort something good can come out of it. I read Hamlet and Antigone as well and I think it is interesting that you compare this book to them and that you said they are people that done have a "bad day" they have "bad lives." I can see how even if a book isn't hopeful it gives you a perspective on your own life that can make a depressing book somewhat hopeful. I remember hearing about the scandal associated with this book but it is really interesting to hear that what he lied about wasnt worth it at all. Do you think the story would have had the same impact on you if he would have just told the truth about everything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I do think that the story would have had the same impact on me without Frey lying about anything. I was really disappointed to learn what he lied about and it really made me look down on Frey. Like I said before, if Frey had gone through everything that he said he had gone through, I really feel bad for the guy and wish he had a better life than he did. It really just wasn't worth it.

    ReplyDelete