Monday, December 13, 2010

Abortion

It seems to me that the pro choice organization is winning the argument on abortion. On the NRLC's website, the pro- life website, I read about a bill that had been passed in 2006 that explained that if a women wanted to get an abortion after about 20 weeks they would have to receive a brochure that informed them of the "substantial pain" the fetus would go through and it would also advise the mother to get pain medicine for the child. This, in my opinion, would not turn mothers in need or seeking an abortion to simply not have an abortion but rather pay a little extra, if they could do so for the baby not to feel it as much. Overall on the pro-life website, it seems that they are more up to date and specific about the types of abortion and how they can harm a women. The pro-life site gave more facts as to what each abortion method entailed and how it hurts the woman and how it hurts the baby. The pro-choice site offers comparable information but shy away from the gruesome facts that are explained in the pro-life web page.Reading the methods on the pro-life site has a significant influence on how I view the issue.

As a high school girl I know that there are things about my life I wouldn't want my parents to know. Although as a minor it is for the safety and well being of the teen for parents to be informed but I do not believe that parents need to know. Teenagers often have different views from their parents and it would only be assumed that a parent may try to talk a teenage girl out of getting an abortion if not simply not allowing her to in the first place. It should be up to the girls discretion if she feels that it is okay to have an abortion, not her parents.

It would be reasonable to notify one parent if their daughter is getting an abortion but it should be up to the discretion of the teenage girl to see which parent she would prefer to notify. For many girls it is easier to relate to their mothers, but for some they may have a closer bond with their father. It should not be mandatory to tell both parents and get both of their consent. What if once a father found out he kicked the daughter out of the house? As a 17/18 year old teenage girl I know that I would not be safe if I got kicked out of my house. What would I do? Where would I go? In some conservative families, this would be an issue and when a girl is already stressed out with the abortion itself, she doesn't need the pressure of her dad to add to it.

I do not agree with Illinois' ban on abortions after 12 weeks. I think it should be up to the woman's choice if she thinks having the baby is a good decision for her or if having an abortion is unethical or not. If I could change anything, I would have insurance cover abortions. If a family or an individual is willing to pay extra money to get abortion coverage, I think that they should be allowed to. I think that our state should allow us to choose what we want to do with our own lives. We live in a free country so why should we be manipulated?

No comments:

Post a Comment